What does Pacific Coast Lodge and Backpackers do reduce our foot print on the earth?
Sustainable Tourism is about ensuring our environment, society and the economy; is positively impacted by those who come to enjoy it.
Pacific Coast Lodge and Backpackers works hard to protect this beautiful country for the benefit of not only New Zealand’s children and their children, but also the traveller, and their children, who will want to travel and experience the beauty of New Zealand!
Pacific Coast Lodge supports this beautiful country by undertaking a number of actions, many of these you will not see but some you might notice –
We encourage our guests to be environmentally conscious when traveling in NZ, to reduce, recycle and refuse waste. We also encourage guests to join the monthly PCL Clean Team, and to reduce their carbon emissions by choosing to plant a tree and to take the Taiki Promise.
PCL reduces pollution by-
- Buy in bulk and using biodegradable or non-toxic cleaning products
- Having vehicles regularly tuned and maintained to reduce carbon emissions
- Encourage carpooling
- Purchasing locally
- Ensuring all printed material and products are sustainably sourced where possible
- Be energy efficient- have installed LED lights, have low flush toilets and taps and shower heads that use less water
- Donate unwanted items to local charities
- Reducing waste, Recycling, Refusing, Reusing, Removing and Rallying!
PCL participates in conservation –
- We have adopted a KIWI, called “Matata” and sponsored a trap to trap stoats, a predator of Kiwi in our local native forests
- We give our guests the opportunity to offset their carbon emissions by planting a native tree after staying with us for 90 days
We promise to think before we buy, use and discard. We have measures in place to make sure we act with the intention of limiting our impact on the earth. We will also off set our carbon foot print by planting trees, protecting our wildlife and natural habitats and making our community cleaner. We will embrace the Taiki promise and encourage our guests to do the same.
Tiaki means to care for people and place.
New Zealand is precious, and everyone who lives and travels here has a responsibility to look after it. The Tiaki Promise is a commitment to care for New Zealand, for now and for the future generations.
By following the Tiaki promise you are making a commitment to New Zealand. To act as a guardian, protecting and preserving our home.
We ask all our guests to take the Taiki Promise with us,
By following the Tiaki promise you are making a commitment to New Zealand.
- Drive carefully
- Keep NZ clean
- Protect nature
- Show respect
- Be prepared
Keep New Zealand Beautiful (KNZB)
Is a non-profit organisation that promotes litter abatement, waste minimisation as well as town and city beautification across New Zealand.
Pacific Coast Lodge is a proud member.
KNZB is about inspiring, educating and providing resources for volunteers who share their passion.
We actively encourage our guests to not only be a tidy Kiwi while in NZ, but pick up rubbish on their travels, join our monthly PCL CLEAN TEAM day and participate in the annual KNZB 'Clean up Week' in September.