Work In the Bay
We've got your working holiday sorted
If you're keen to find work while you're here so that you can stay longer then we've got you sorted! We've been finding local jobs for our guests since 2005 and have the best contacts for job opportunities in the Bay. From horticulture jobs, labouring, hospitality and more, come and sign up with our reception team and we'll help find a suitable job while you're here.
We need workers now! Please call the hostel today and we will have you out working in no time!
You need to be fit, enthusiastic and reliable. Having your own transport is a bonus but we do have a van available as well. Otherwise we can help with car-pooling with other guests to share petrol costs.
We are here to help our guests, therefore we do not charge a fee for finding you work but you must stay at Pacific Coast Lodge and Backpackers while you are working through us. Usually there is a 2 week commitment. For picking you are required to commit for the whole season which is approximately 6 to 8 weeks. If you leave the hostel, you will leave the job.
Some job opportunities include:
- Fruit Picking
- Fruit Packing - Starts March/April
- Hospitality - Year round
- Construction/Labour companies
- Landscaping companies and many more!
- Local families
To legally work in New Zealand you must have:
- A valid working permit: (work visa or work and holiday visa) We cannot help you with your visa application. If you require more information about your visa or how to apply for one, please visit the website of New Zealand immigration service.
- IRD number: To work in New Zealand you need to pay income tax, your IRD number (tax number) is unique to you. Without an IRD number, the employer will deduct income tax at the highest non-declaration tax rate of 45%, so make sure you have your IRD sorted before you start working, it will take up to 10 working days to process.
- Bank account: You will need to set up a bank account in New Zealand so your employers can pay you money into an account. We have multiple banks here in Tauranga where you can easily open up a bank account. All you need is your passport and a letter of resident which we can help you with.
We are in the backpackerguideNZ and they have EVERYTHING you need to know not just about travelling in New Zealand but have great information on working in New Zealand, the following:
- How to get a Working Holiday Visa?
- Check your country's specific requirements
- Step-By-Step Working Holiday Visa Guide
- How do I get a visa extension?
They also have hot tips about working in New Zealand, where to go and what time of year through to a job listing site. The BackpackerguideNZ has it all! As well as the best places to stay and best activities to do throughout the country!